Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:38:57 +0100
From:      martinko <gamato@users.sf.net>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: failed to start webcamd

Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Monday 28 February 2011 21:35:57 martinko wrote:
>> Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

>>> You can also try to compile webcamd with debugging and see if any errors
>>> are output. Maybe your camera needs firmware to work.
>>>
>>> --HPS
>>
>> Next time, if you think it can reveal something useful.
>>
>> I don't think it needs any firmware.  It should support UVC, afaik.
>> I tried it with Mac and it worked immediately after plugging in.
>
> The new version of webcamd is in ports now.
>
> --HPS

I unplugged the camera, deinstalled webcamd, configured it with debug
support and installed, then tried to restart devd as suggested:

# /etc/rc.d/devd restart
devd not running?
Starting devd.
Starting webcamd.
Attached ugen3.2[0] to cuse unit -1
Starting webcamd.
Webcamd is already running for ugen3.2.0
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/webcamd: WARNING: failed to start webcamd
devd: devd already running, pid: 872
/etc/rc.d/devd: WARNING: failed to start devd