Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:19:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        bsddiy@163.net (David Xu), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), bde@zeta.org.au ((Bruce Evans)), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Found BAD BUG: squashed

:
:And instantly invalidate the viability of commercial software vendors
:4.3-RELEASE versions of code running on systems tracking -stable to
:keep up with serious bug fixes.
:
:It's a double edge sword, this change should either go in now, or
:Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net

    I think this is an overreaction.  ucred is almost universally used
    as an opaque structure.  It seems highly unlikely to me that it
    will break anything outside the cvs tree.  In fact, not a single
    program in /usr/src/sys/dev references elements inside a ucred (and
    barely reference the ucred itself).

    But, even though we don't think it will break anything is no excuse to
    risk the 4.3-release on the change.  If something bad breaks after the
    4.3 release we can always back it out.  If we break 4.3 itself we're
    stuck.

					    -Matt