Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:06:26 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Justin Johns <winter@quiddity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PC-Card modem problem

> I'm currently running 2.2.5-STABLE as of today and I'm having problems
> getting my PCMCIA modem to be recognized.  My laptop is a Toshiba
> Tecra 700CT and I have a 3C389C ethernet card and a XJ2288 modem card.

Does the ethernet card work?  With what driver?

> I've tried various configurations for the modem card to no avail.

Do you have the output of 'pccardc dumpcis' available?

> I think this may be related to how the laptop handles serial ports
> because not even one of them is recognized by the kernel and one port
> happens to be an IR port.

How FreeBSD finds your internal serial ports and how it finds the PCMCIA
modem/serial ports is only slightly related.  It can find one and not
the other

> I've got PCMCIA modems to work before using the PAO patches, but only
> barely.  Does anyone have any input or suggestions for my problem?

Sure, what is the output of 'pccardc dumpcis'?  Does your kernel have
multiple serial ports configured you can try out?  (sio0/sio1/sio2).
Are you sure that the IRQ you are trying to use for the modem isn't in
use by the serial port that FreeBSD doesn't like?  Did you jump up and
down 3 times, spin on your head, and spit north singing 'Mary had a
Little Lamb' as defined in the handbook?  (Whoops, did I forget to add
the last part to the handbook. *grin*)

Seriously, even if all of the above work out, Bruce pointed out a big
bug in the modem/serial probing code that exists in the PCCARD code that
negatively affects certain hardware.  It's a fairly 'simple' fix, but
requires *LOTS* of changes to the entire system.  Rather than attack it,
I want to finish up the 'suspend/resume' stuff and then see how things
fare.

Nate