Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 13:20:52 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Anders Nordby <anders@fix.no>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: Closing incoming access to private (and other) networks with ipfw (and running natd)

The default (despite the libalias documentation, but in line with the
natd documentation) behaviour when receiving new traffic bound for
the internal network(s) *used* to be to let it through.  This could
be overridden with PacketAliasSetTarget() (-target_address to natd).

*now* (in -stable & -current), PacketAliasSetTarget(INADDR_ANY)
behaves as before and PacketAliasSetTarget(INADDR_NONE) goes to the
alias address.  The default is INADDR_NONE.

Either way, if you ``-target_address 1.2.3.4'' where 1.2.3.4 is your
alias address, you should effectively block connections from outside.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>