Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 14:01:07 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Jonas Bulow <jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad T20 rejects FreeBSD  Was: FreeBSD 4.1 on IBM Thinkpad T20

At 4:15 PM +0200 9/19/00, Jonas Bulow wrote:
>A follow-up on my own problem.
>
>The T20 does not allow a partition type of 165. If I change
>it to 131 (ext2fs) the computer boots fine. Otherwise, as I
>explained earlier, the computer hangs before it is even
>possible to enter the bios setup.
>
>Does anyone on this list use a IBM thinkpad T20 or A20 with FreeBSD?

This is mighty hard to believe.  Here at RPI, the T20 was chosen as
the laptop for this year's incoming freshmen.  While there are some
hurdles in getting freebsd running on those laptops, those hurdles
were in the "standard places" for hurdles.  The T20's have a new
type of ethernet card, so freebsd couldn't talk to the network.
There is also some new graphics controller, so you have to have a
customized version of the XFree86 server to work with it.  Our
own Jon Chen (a grad student here at RPI) got a patch together
for the ethernet card to work.  I think he's also been messaging
the Xserver so it's more reliable.

I'm afraid that I don't know all the details, but I do know that
about three weeks ago we did have about 30-60 T20 owners up and
running on FreeBSD.

The idea that a laptop would not BOOT due to the partition type
seems pretty strange to me.  At no time did we have trouble with
the T20's booting.  I should probably note, however, that we were
not doing a freebsd-only setup, so I don't know how well that
would work.  What we did was use partition-magic to shrink the
Win98 partition, and then install freebsd into the second
partition.  That seemed to work fine.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute