Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 22:21:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   New X config quandry...

   I've spent this  weekend trying to upgrade the last bit of my
   system from 2.0.5 to 2.1.5.  I've installed the X312 libs, bins,
   docs and man pages.  Tried again to install XF86_W32 as my
   driver...and here have failed.  ((I tried to upgrade  to version
   3.1.2 last May with exactly the same results: nojoy.))

   When I boot into xdm my screen in a blur of dark grey `snow'.
   Trying to cycle into different resolutions gets me nowhere.

   I've had two thoughts, and maybe someone out there in FBSD-land
   can offer some ideas.  My first thought is that the 3.1.2 W32
   driver is broken in soome way compared to the 3.1.1 version.
   My second thought is that I'm using the *wrong driver*.

   x86config seems to suggest that I should be using the S3 driver.
   Since I've been using the W32 driver since  last December, this
   doesn't seem too likely....although maybe I ought to bite the
   bullet and look at the drivers' code.

   My  video card is a ``Cardex Challenger.'' 32-bit PCI-BUS.  It
   has  the Tseng  ET4000/W32p with 2MB of VRAM.

   Another thought is that my present XF86Config file is toooooo
   far off the real specs for the new driver to work.  It did take
   several days of playing with the V and H sync numbers before it
   would work.

   Can anybody clue me in on using xvidtune?  Maybe if I get the
   numbers in /etc/XF86Config set correctly, the new driver will
   work.  Right now, typing xvidtune gives me this error:

Xlib:  extension "XFree86-VidModeExtension" missing on display "localhost:0.0".
Unable to query video extension version

   Thanks, people.

   gary