Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 1997 12:29:27 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alternatives to SYSV IPC?

As Jake Hamby wrote:

> ..., but what about messages?  Sockets could be used, but they just
> provide an arbitrary stream of bytes, not discrete messages.  FIFOs
> have the same problem, and pollute the filename space (I have the
> same problem with using mmap() for shared memory).

What else than `an arbitrary stream of bytes' is a message?  Define
your message to be a structure, with a length and type field at the
beginning, and type-dependant data following.

FIFOs (or local-domain sockets) don't pollute the name space more than
SysV msgs did.  Remember, all that SYSVIPC created a second (and 3rd
etc.) namespace, with an inconsitent set of programs to handle them,
and even inconsistent attributes, IIRC.

--
cheers, J"org