Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 20:23:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        handy@sag.space.lockheed.com (Brian N. Handy)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: advice sought - Quantum 2GB Atlas broken

> >Coming back from a short holiday I powered on a P90 machine with
> >(among other IDE disks) a Quantum 2GB ATLAS XP32150 and the SCSI disks
> >saluted with a continous one second interval clicking noise.
> >It spins up but the head seems to do some wild moves followed by a
> >'chuck-clack' with the NCR PCI BIOS not coming to an end of the probing
> >phase. At least the NCR BIOS sits there for half an hour already
> >and that noise is repeating unchanged.
>
> I had this happen to one of these drives I purchased from Rod Grimes.
> What this is, if I remember correctly, is some sort of thermal calibration
> thingy that ... uh ... isn't.

Interesting that you are saying that (thermal calibration - not Rod Grimes :-)
(I think Rod is not responsible in any way for faulty Quantum drives)

When I was out for that 6 days vacation over Chrismas and New Year
I switched off that machine - only to do my wife a favor because
she always asks me "must these computers run all over the night and day"
and lowered the room temperature which may well have been as low as
10 Degrees Celsius (em er, where is my K&R book ... 50 Degrees Fahrenheit)
when I came back. I switched on the computer and the disaster began.