Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 2010 16:06:43 -0700
From:      Rocky Borg <rrborg@speakeasy.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail and DNS setup

  On 8/19/2010 3:44 PM, Depo Catcher wrote:
> While we're at it, any alternatives to bind?  We have a slow internet
> so like to cache things locally.
> Other than local lookup and caching, nothing else is needed.

Unbound ( http://www.unbound.net/ ) just does validating, recursive, and
caching DNS. If you ever end up needing an authoritative server you can
pair it with NSD ( http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/projects/nsd/ ). They are
both from the same company.

There is also MaraDNS, it promotes itself as being very secure, small,
and easy to configure ( http://www.maradns.org/ ).

I personally like MaraDNS, you can read the advocacy document which
compares various DNS servers. http://www.maradns.org/advocacy.html