Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 1996 14:42:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   upgrading ....

  Well, I just had a brush with death or depression or panic.
  Or whatever.  ---I've chilled considerably in recent years...
  but not entirely.

  Around 19:30 Friday night, I pulled the required XFree86, v3.12
  tars off freefall.  Carefully installed them; linked XF86_W32 to
  X.   Tried to bring up X, and disaster.  The server did come up,
  but was nothing but 3 or 4 bands of fuzzy, horizontal lines.
  Before turning in, I managed to boot in single mode, remove xdm
  from rc.local, and fsck everything.

  From this morning until about an hour ago I tried to get v3.12
  up.  No joy.  There was a complaint about libc being the wrong
  version (I'm running FreeBSD 2.0.5).  And some complaints about
  tar not being able to overwrite some symbolic links.  The last
  think I tried was modifying my /etc/XF86Config to use the exact
  values for my ViewSonic-7 as are given in the ...doc/Monitors file.
  Zip.  I just retrieved the old X311*.tgz from my CDROM and
  reinstalled.  X is back.

  Anyone know what I'm doing so wrong?  Is there a way to upgrade to
  v2.1 in any staged way via ftp?  I'd rather not go with ``-current''.

  Thanks much.

  gary kline