Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:36:06 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Parker Brown <phbrown@charter.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Internet Access Over CableTV

Parker Brown <phbrown@charter.net> types:
> I've just retired my trusty 56K modem and opted for DSL-like speeds
> (256/64) and "always on" through Charter Communications, my local Cable
> TV company.  Attachment is via UCB.
>
> My question is:  before I go hacking through my configuration files, can
> someone tell me if support for that kind of Internet connection exists
> in BSD 4.3.  Dmesg indicated that it located the Linksys UCB adaptor and
> labelled it ugen0.  Will I need to get a special driver?

I think you'll need to *write* a special driver for it. If it's
labelled as ugen0, it's not recognized as either a modem or ethernet
internface, and you're not going to be able to use it.

The best solution is to go back to Charter Communications and beat on
them until you get a box that connects via ethernet instead of USB.

	<mike