Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 1996 13:26:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        Bala Periasamy <bala@cst.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Majordomo problem (help)

On Fri, 5 Jul 1996, Bala Periasamy wrote:

> > I spent most of yesterday afternoon trying to get Majordomo to work and
> > have exactly the same error. The error 137 (according to the Majordomo
> > docs) is probably being returned from the mailer (sendmail in my case)
> > but the man page for sendmail points to the syscodes header file which
> > does not contain 137. If you run 'top' while majordomo runs, you'll see that
> > it starts out with a few hundred k of swap, then every few seconds it
> > grabs more and more and more and eventually runs out, faults and is
> > killed. I assume it's a permissions error, but all I have to go on is the
> > error code (136 or 137). If you find out anything more, please let me know.
> >
> > -Dave
> >

> I have fixed the problem and now majordomo works fine.
> The mistake was, the W_UID and W_GUID in the Makefile has to
> point to uid and guid of the majordom user on your computer.
> Keep the W_CHOWN to root. Now it you compile wrapper and do a
> make install-wrapper, it should all work.
>
> cheers
> bala

Following your lead, I changed the definitions and re-made everything.
It's now *different* anyway... what I get when I send email to majordomo
is a nasty panic 13, which causes a reboot, which then loops forever. I
had to ^C the sendmail daemon installation on boot up and then delete all
the messages queued for sendmail and boot again to fix it. I don't have
kernel dumps enabled (and the "Running FreeBSD" book is in error - there
is no commented-out line in sysconfig as described for 'dumpdev') but will
do so as soon as I can gracefully kick off the users. You *did* enable the
POSIX-specific lines in the Makefile, yes?

-Dave