Date:      Sat, 08 Jun 1996 09:24:11 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dean Forester <deanf@www.durham.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: INN 1.4 unoff4 running on FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE

Dean Forester wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.91.960607175343.3481B-100000@www.durham.net>:
> The Problem:  Every day or so the machine runs out of VM and kills INND,
> thus taking down the whole news server. Is there any way short of putting
> in another 32Mb (I know this will help, just can't afford it right now)
> of RAM to solve this problem for the time being?

Are you SURE it's running out of VM? You get a ``swap_pager: out of
swap space'' message on the console? If not, what is happening is that
innd is running into the per-user VM usage limits, and you need to
increase the limits in the shell before innd is started.

If you ARE getting ``swap_pager: out of swap space'', then you really
need to add more RAM, but a temporary solution is to add more swap
space (which means that expire will take forever as the machine WILL
thrash). I believe it's documented in the handbook how to do this (I
can't remember offhand).

Gary