Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 1995 08:12:34 +0300
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

   routing solution. ...and like I said, despite the hipe, I found pc-route to be
   rather aweful in terms of performance (I was using it with a 386 at the time).

Not if one is trying to find a cheap router for a SLIP/PPP line.  A PCroute
in a 8088 at 4.77Mhz did 38.4k with 16450's, but FreeBSD in a 80386 at
16MHz fails to keep up with 16550's at the same speed.  It could be a
tuning problem, though, I haven't had time to try earlier trigger for UARTS
or larger serial buffers.

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN