Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:30:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/16850: upgrade port: graphics/gnofract4d: 1.0 -> 1.2

The following reply was made to PR ports/16850; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To: Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:23:24 -0500

 On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 10:33:39AM -0600, Ade Lovett wrote:
 > I've taken a look at this.. the PLIST was missing a large number of
 > bits and pieces, and I've made it ${PREFIX} safe by getting rid
 > of the "gnome-config --datadir" constructs in the configure script
 > (as a side note, using gnome-config for anything other than libs,
 > cflags, and versioning information is usually always a mistake :)

 I know the gnofract4d PR was broken in a lot of places... Chris
 Faulhaber approached me about it.. it should have been a fairly easy
 update, and I was sorry to discover that it was not. I haven't really
 had time to fix this lately due to my Qt/KDE stuff, which is now finally
 getting into the ports tree.

 I felt it was all right to leave gnofract4d alone for the time being,
 although I did make the fatal mistake of not asking jedgar to close it
 in order to save other people time, and I'm sorry about that.

 > However, on a 3.4-STABLE machine, running XFree 3.3.6 with an
 > up-to-date ports tree, I get the following when I try to run it
 > (both with your patchset, and mine):
 >
 > 	viper 33% gnofract4d
 > 	Xlib: sequence lost (0x1021d > 0x340) in reply type 0x0!
 > 	Gdk-ERROR **: BadImplementation (server does not implement operation)
 > 	  serial 541 error_code 17 request_code 20 minor_code 0

 Yeah.. very odd errors.. Chris couldn't even get it to compile. For some
 strange reason it worked on my box when I tested it. I haven't had time
 lately to test it.

 > My 4.x box is currently in lots of little pieces, so I can't test there.
 >
 > My updated patchset can be found at:
 >
 > 	http://www.lovett.com/FreeBSD/graphics.gnofract4d.patch
 >
 > If you can do a little more investigation and get the thing working
 > again, I'll be happy to commit it.

 Yah, I certainly can.. my first priority right now is to fix those
 little Qt/KDE ports that still don't respect CXX, then I'll put my focus
 on this (and other ports of mine that need updating).

 Anyway, sorry again for wasting your time. Thanks for the patch, I'll
 investigate it soon (probably today, if all goes well). :-)

 --
 Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>