Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 07:36:44 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User PPP question

--------

Carey Nairn uttered with conviction:
>Hi all,
>
>is there a way of determining whether an interface is connected
>(particularly tun0) without trying to send something (e.g. ping
>packets) across the interface ?  What I want to do is find out if the
>interface is currently connected and iff it is then download mail from my
>ISP.

 ifconfig -u | grep tun0

>The situation is that I run ppp -auto and download mail twice a day out
>of cron.  The PPP connection is also used intermittently for other things
>(WWW browsing etc.) and I would just like to periodically check to see if
>I am connected and download mail if I am.

This is a little different...

 You could telnet to localhost 3000 and connect to the ppp process and check
the status of the prompt...

 ppp> 		means down
 PPP> 		means up

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?