Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:09:39 -0700
From:      Brian Bunker <Brian.Bunker@corp.efi.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   3c905b cards

Hello,

I have a question about support for the 3com 3c905B card.  FreeBSD v2.2.7
installs fine with the 3c905 card as vx0.  If I try to use the 3c905B card,
FreeBSD finds the card but doesn't recognize it.  It only sees it as a PCI
ethernet card.  This is the same way that it recognizes token ring cards.

The 3c905B card seems to be much more common these days on the newer PC's
than the 3c905.  I have found that most O/S's have problems with this new
card, and you have to use the drivers that come with the card.  The drivers
provided by the O/S for the 3c905 card do not work for the 3c905B.  I have
seen this problem with Windows 95/98 and Novell servers.  The difference
between those O/S's and FreeBSD is that 3Com will write drivers for those
O/S's.  Have you seen this at all?

Sincerely,

Brian Bunker
Quality Assurance / Network Group