Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 19:58:34 -0400
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /etc/defaults/really_defaults/really_really_defaults

On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 04:11:50PM +0100, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> Jason C. Wells wrote:
>
> > What's the functional difference between the former rc.conf and
> > defaults/rc.conf? Why not
> > /etc/defaults/really_defaults/really_really_defaults/rc.conf? (Rhetorical
> > question)
> >
> > If we realllllly shouldn't change settings in defaults/rc.conf then just
> > roll those variable assignments into /etc/rc which we are also warned not
> > to play with. (This is where a developer should tell me I don't see the
> > grand scheme.)
>
> It makes it easier to see what the defaults are, imho. If I wanted to find
> all the other defaults, I'd have to grep all the rc* files, find what
> context it was used in, etc. Also, if a variable is used more than once,
> especially in more than one file, changes made by FreeBSD developers to
> the default setting need only be made once.

On the other hand, setting up a nwe system is a PITA now, because you
can't just edit the file and rely on comments already there to change
default values to whatever you need. Now, you need to also open a copy
of the defaults file, to read from, and copy over lines you want to
change to your own file, and change them there. What about defaults
changing, and suddenly values you rely on in rc.conf no longer having
any effect?

> --
> Ben Smithurst
> ben@scientia.demon.co.uk

Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>         The statements and opinions in my
Unix Admin @ Frontline Communications    public posts are mine, not FCC's.
"The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an approaching
train." --/usr/games/fortune