Date:      Sat, 05 Jul 1997 01:10:44 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Carey Nairn <cpn@ccd.tas.gov.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EDO vs non-parity RAM

>I suppose this has been asked before somewhere but I can't find it right
>now...
>
>I want to know which is the preferable RAM type to use for FreeBSD.  I
>have heard people say don't use EDO but the reasons seem to be a bit
>vague.  Is EDO better/worse or more/less reliable than normal non-parity
>RAM ?

   It has the same reliability, but most EDO SIMMs are only available in non-
parity versions. Non-parity is just as reliable as parity RAM, but with parity
your system will crash if it detects a parity error, which many people believe
is superior to continuing to run with the bad bit(s).

-DG

David Greenman