Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:42:54 -0400
From:      "Gray, David" <David_W_Gray@tvratings.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD Chat List'" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How did the MSFT monopoly start?

I was working in a large (then) electronics co. in the early 80's...

There were two pivotal events in the Microsoft saga. One was DOS 3. The
other was Windows 3. Let me elaborate...

The company I was working for built products for the IBM plug-compatible
mainframe market (as a sideline, actually.) One of our products was a 327X
compatible display system. It had a completely
proprietary communication scheme, so it was really only compatible at the
channel attachment
level. In the early 80's came the IBM pc. It took the market by storm (never
underestimate the
power of the cachet of those three letters). It was decided the latest
version of our display
was going to be PC compatible (sort of.) The problem was that the design
people started with *too*
clean of a slate. They built the thing with DR-DOS in mind. It worked rather
well, but everybody
wanted MSDOS, so they could run FOO. So, we licensed DOS from Microsoft, and
rolled our own. Oh,
did I mention we weren't *too* compatible? That was deliberate - this
company had an announced
strategy of locking customers in. And we even sold a few of these little
things, with our very
own DOS 2.2. Then came 3.0. Microsoft announced that there would be no
licensing of customised
versions. Period. The same disk that booted the IBM PC had better boot your
box. Well, our little
semi-compatible didn't. There was a considerable amount of re-engineering
done (in things like
the hardware interrupt structure.) It never worked well. And since none of
the 'good stuff' ran on
DR-DOS, that product was pretty much limited to its secondary roll - an IBM
semi-compatible terminal.
And was killed, far too long afterwards for the good of the company.

The second event was Windows 3. Up till that time, Windows was a curiosity.
I actually saw Windows
2 bundled with a scanner, but thats the only place I'd seen it. Windows 3
coincided with the general
availablity of the '386. This was the combination needed to make Windows
practical (for some
values of practical.) [Oh, and it had the prettiest Solitaire game you ever
did see. I firmly believe
that game sold more windows 3.0 packages than all the salesman in
Microsoft.] Important to remember,
is that Microsoft is the only one in a position to come out with this at
this time. Win 3 ran on top
of DOS, using interfaces that Microsoft never published. Anyone trying to
compete, had to deal with
this huge hurdle (and things haven't changed much, have they?). Windows 3
upped the ante in the
level of complexity a program needed to interface with it. And since it was,
at the time, the only
way to really *use* the capabilities of the newer processors, everyone wrote
thier software to those
complex APIs. And a vicious cycle was started. Microsoft has never let
things like 'ethics' get in
the way of making money, and they had the only game in town, at the
beginning. Unlike IBM, they saw
the danger in being too open (IBM figured it out, but by the time they tried
pushing the
Micro-Channel machines out the door, the market had grown past them.)