Date:      Wed, 20 May 2009 14:30:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Steele <psteele@maxiscale.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        #freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pthread_detach doesn't release memory

>If I add a loop to your main() function, and add your missing
>pthread_detach() call, here's the memory usage I see on each iteration:

That was a typo in my posting. I in fact did use pthread_detach; the line got deleted as I was composing my email.

>So it reached a steady state after 5 loops.

That was my problem. I only tested for 3 or 4 iterations; I should have when a few more times and I would have observed this steady. I just verified this with my own app.

Thanks for helping me solve this mystery...