Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:56:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Minor annoyances with ZIP Plus

>>I just got a IOMega ZIP Plus and am using it with an Adaptec 1522(AIC6360,
>>aic0).  It works fine in Win95, and fine in FreeBSD for the most part,
>>other than some rather annoying error messages when trying to use it for
>>various things.  Any time I mount/umount a disk, change it, and do the
>>same again (or even use mtools).  You'll notice an error when probing the
>>drive attached to aic0 and all the errors at the bottom (which occur when
>>I try to use it after changing disks):
>
> Don't worry; these errors are "normal".  Well, as "normal" as Iomega SCSI
> devices get, anyway.  Apparently Iomega subscribes to some "weird",
> non-standard variant of SCSI, in that their devices do not support certain
> SCSI commands mandated by the SCSI specification, specifically, those SCSI
> commansd that ask a device to specify its geometry (size, #
> heads/sectors/etc.).  When presented with this anomalous behavior, the
> FreeBSD driver guesses the device's geometry, and so everything still
> works.

This isn't the case.  FreeBSD was being silly in asking for the optional,
rigid geometry page, which the IOMega guys chose not to implement.  Since
FreeBSD stopped using physical geometry to "optimize" disk I/O (which
doesn't work on the ZBR drives of today), asking for the rigid geometry
wasn't buying us anything and the code was recently changed to use the
information returned by the Read Capacity command instead.

--
Justin