Date:      Thu, 07 May 1998 18:35:31 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ugo Paternostro <paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Hideki Yamamoto <hyama@acm.org>
Subject:   Re: mount_msdos and msdosfs for VFAT/FAT32 access

On 07-May-98 Jordan K. Hubbard wrote about "Re: mount_msdos and msdosfs for
VFAT/FAT32 access":
>> 2) my system rebooted fine (no errors on console), but when I try to mount
>> my Windows 95 partition with:
>
> This looks like you actually have a bogus entry in /etc/exports and
> is not a problem with the patches at all.  Can you please verify?

Well, let's explain it better (it was near midnight, yesterday... :-)

I'm sorry to contradict *YOU* :-), but it worked fine before applying the
patches. What I forgot to mention yesterday (well, it was almost today) is
that the two partitions mountd is complaining about are FAT16 partitions, while
the partition I was trying to mount is a FAT32 one (BTW the mount itself
succeeds, and I can tamper my Windows partition--beautiful!). This is why I
thought of a patch-related problem.

Today I discovered that mountd yells in the same way as soon as I mount
anything (say, /mnt/cdrom) either by hand or via amd:

ugo@pegasus:/home/ugo [0]# mount /mnt/cdrom
ugo@pegasus:/home/ugo [0]# May  7 18:09:47 pegasus mountd[110]: Can't change
attributes for /mnt/limbo.
May  7 18:09:47 pegasus mountd[110]: Bad exports list line /mnt/limbo   -maproot
May  7 18:09:47 pegasus mountd[110]: Can't change attributes for
/mnt/xchange_1.
May  7 18:09:47 pegasus mountd[110]: Bad exports list line /mnt/xchange_1
-maproot

[ ls /amd/cdrom/ leads to the same result (a mounted cdrom and those errors on
  console) ]

Moreover, if I had a bogus entry in /etc/exports, mountd would tell me that
during boot, as soon as it is started, but it doesn't: it stays quiet until I
mount something else.

I'm curious to know what the machine does if I insert /mnt/windows95 in my
fstab... please wait, rebooting...

[ some time later ]

Rebooted fine, no errors. If I mount something now (or ls /amd/cdrom/), I get
the same result as before. What I really don't understand is that everything
works fine (just as before patching) if I don't mount anything: I can go to
another host and NFS-mount those exported FAT16 partition fine. As soon as I
mount something here on pegasus, I don't export them anymore.

Is there any known problem with NFS exporting + FAT + maproot? BTW, does this
happens on -current too? I cannot test that here, as my -current laptop has
only one slice on its HD (well, two, but the second is for BIOS Save To Disk
feature :-)

What can I do to track this down?

> - Jordan

Bye, UP