Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:36:22 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
Cc:        Wolfpaw - Dale Corse <admin-lists@wolfpaw.net>, hhorse@globalnet.co.uk, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No subject was specified.

Willie Viljoen wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 February 2003 19:56, someone, possibly Bill Moran, typed:
>
>>Personally, I think it's foolish to just _assume_ that this guy is a
>>crackpot.  I understand that his comments seem Trollish in nature, but
>>by his responses, I think it's also quite possible that he simply isn't
>>familiar with FreeBSD and didn't know what to make of the daemon logo.
>>I'm more interested in "why is his ISP displaying the daemon logo when
>>there's a problem with his page?"
>
> All I can think is that they use BSD servers and probably wrote their own
> error handler (that's the newest big thing amongst ISPs that like to show
> off.)
>
> On these custom error handler pages, displaying logos of the web server
> software and operating system is common.
>
> Not that I'm complaining, it's free advertising for us :)

I'm not saying that it's bad advertising, but it leaves us answering
questions that are the ISP's responsibility (that we can't even answer
if we wanted to in many cases)

I would just appreciate it if the ISPs would ensure that the error page
is descriptive enough that questions like this don't come this way.  Then
again, some people don't bother to read, and would ask the question anyway,
and there's little we can do about that.

I'm really hoping that he replies with a link to the page in questions, if
it's poorly done, I may email the ISP and recommend that some additional
information be posted.

My biggest concern is that occasionally a question like this draws flames,
and that's never good PR.  Especially when the poster is honestly trying to
figure out what's wrong and just went down the wrong path.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies