Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:13:22 +0200
From:      Hendrik Scholz <hscholz@raisdorf.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAE related crash

Hi!

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 03:34:27PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> It will work if the feature bit is set in the cpuid output.

Here is the dmesg output:

CPU: AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 240 (1395.65-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0xf51  Stepping = 1
  Features=0x78bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CM
OV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
  AMD Features=0xe0500000<<b20>,AMIE,<b29>,DSP,3DNow!>

I've attached a mptable output (showing the same flags :)) in my

> Note that you can't use the ACPI module with PAE though.

I've added device acpi and makeoptions NO_MODULES=yes to the custom
kernel (the PAE kernel config didn't work either).

I just downloaded 5.1-REL/amd64 and gave it a try. No way to get that
booting into sysinstall. I'll try to find a snapshot for it.

In the meantime the system is running a recent -current/i386 and
is just damn fast :)

Thanks, Hendrik

--
Hendrik Scholz - <hscholz@raisdorf.net> - http://raisdorf.net/

drag me, drop me - treat me like an object