Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:37:04 +0300
From:      "Andrew Pantyukhin" <infofarmer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Andrew Brampton" <andrew@bramp.freeserve.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LDM (Windows Dynamic Disks) in FreeBSD?

On 11/6/05, Andrew Brampton <andrew@bramp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think I've found the answer to my question already, but I wanted to be
> 100% sure.

Okay, since you are so nice, let me answer this one :-)

> Can I read Window Dynamic Disk volumes from within FreeBSD? More precisely
> RAID-5 volume across multiple disks. I've googled and googled and I think
> the answer is no. The linux-ntfs project has a tool that can display
> information about the volume but the file system driver isn't fully
> developed yet.

http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/freebsd-current_2004/msg26639.html

http://freebsd.rambler.ru/ is a nice web search for our
mailing lists. In fact, we're planning on integrating it
into FreeBSD.org

So the state of things with windows dynamic disks in
FreeBSD doesn't seem to have changed much since
2004.

> If there is no LDM support in FreeBSD, I think I'm going to port the
> userland linux-ntfs ldminfo tool to FreeBSD, however I have a quick question
> about GPL. If I port the code then obviously my version will have to be
> under the GPL. I was wondering how this impacts the BSD licence? I presume
> users of FreeBSD can happily use this tool, and hopefully one day it would
> be allowed in ports. But say I extended this tool into a file system driver
> (which I know is a big leap) would this code ever be considered for the
> Kernel, or would I have to code from scratch to avoid the GPL restrictions?

I think most of the software in ports is GPL'ed. We'll be
happy to see you offer a new port or support an existing
one. As for the FreeBSD kernel, we can't use GPL'ed code
in the default (generic) one, but we can use it as an
optional feature, or as a loadable (kld) module.

Take a look at this port:
http://www.freshports.org/sysutils/ntfsprogs/

Thanks for your interest!