Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 2003 09:44:17 +0100 (BST)
From:      john@critchley.biz
To:        john@critchley.biz
Subject:   Re: Annother Wireless network card annother problem

I asked Aaron Benner <bennera@rocky.edu> about the Linksys card as
he had been asking on freebsd-questions. He was able to tell me what
was going om with WMP11s, and I thaught I should pass it on:

> If your WMP11 was stamped out with a Broadcom chipset instead of the
> PRISMII chipset that linksys used to manufacture the card with you (like
> myself) are very much so out of luck.
>
> There is no reference literature available on the broadcom version, so
> nobody has been able to write driver code for it.
>
> There's a petition on to get B.S. to release a map of the registers on
> the card, but until that happens I haven't found anything that isn't
> WinFOO that will make them go.
>
> Best of luck,
> --AB
> (We actually just went out and bought 10BaseTX adapters and shelved the
> wireless for the time being.)

He also was able to tell me:

> If you've got the card outside the box the FCC ID is:
>
> PKW-WMP11-V27, and is stamped on the top of the shield casing.
>
> The last 3 numbers are what's important.  The v27 cards all have the
> broadcom chipsets.
>
> You can also consult http://www.yourvote.com/pci/default.asp to look up
> a vendor based on the vendor's PCI id (which you list below).
>
> 0x14e4 - 0x4301 corresponds to:
>
> Device ID: 0x4301
> Add Info
>    Chip Number: BCM4301 802.11b
>    Notes: used in BCM94301MP (minipci) and BCM94301CB (cardbus)
>
> And belongs to the Broadcom corporation.  I just love linksys, don't you?
>
> --AB
> (Feel free to redistribute.)
>

> john@critchley.biz wrote:
.
.
.
> > What's the best way to tell?
> > The vendor, device numbers are 0x14e4, 0x4301.

So now I'm down to my Belkin PCMCIA card which is a rebadged WL11000p.
Anybody got ideas on that? (Or do I swap my OS to Windows XP ? ;-)

-jc