Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 17:47:15 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:

>> > The stock market is not alive, the people are.
>>
>> Read carefully, oh admonisher of careful reading. I said "the floor
>> of a stock exchage".
>
> "the floor of the stock exchange" isn't alive, either, the people are.
>
> Before you escalate, let me generalize my statement for you.
> so that you will not feel compelled to do it for me: your
> examples are not agregate entities which themselves are
> representative of an instance of a life form.

You didn't specify the plurality or singularity of your reference
to "life" in your original statement. Attempting to move to the
singular form now, once the misunderstanding is done, can only
be your attempt to demonstrate superiorty even in the absence of
such a contest.

>> > I didn't make a generalization, so your statement is incorrect.
>>
>> My statement was a question, so your attempted refutation is
>> non-sequitor.
>
> My refutation was of the statement prior to the conjunctive comma.

Thus ignoring anything after it.

>> Note the use of a question mark. ;)
>
> Note your use of a conjunctive comma, attempting to force me to
> accept your premise by responding either positively or negatively
> to your question.

Read carefully. The first two words of the statement were "Never
mind". This generally means you ignore the statement.

>> I think it demonstrates incredible arrogance, to say you can
>> act but you don't. It certainly isn't tolerance.
>
> I posted the calculus of non-repudiation which could be implemented;

And this is relevant to anything but your arrogance because...?

> if you have a problem with its logic, by all means, critique it.

That's walking into your arena with your assumptions and trying to
find fault. While my own arrogance appreciates the temptation, the
focus of the original topic is lost.

Oh, the original topic? Yes... ;)

You refuse to deal with the assertion that it is common sense to
ignore something you don't like, citing a bunch of mathematical
hogwash instead of using simple words to explain your position as to
why this is not true.

We aren't talking about Schelling points, it's irrelevant to consider
game theory, try demonstrating your own principles by explaining in
simple terms why you won't deal with this one issue.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

Man no sooner discovers a new intelligence than he tries to
involve it in his own stupidity.  --- Jacques-Yves Cousteau