Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 1996 20:09:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        smpatel@wam.umd.edu
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java Compiler Using Netscape - Port

 * I just dropped a port that will install the needed components of the JDK
 * to compile Java programs using Netscape on
 * ftp.freebsd.org://pub/FreeBSD/incoming.  It'll install a script called
 * 'javac' which acts exactly like the javac that runs on Solaris.  I'd
 * recommend that it be put in the www catagory even though it's a compiler,
 * because it needs Netscape 3.0 as a prerequisite.

Ok, committed.  I took out the NO_PACKAGE though, as the license
exlicitly permits redistribution as far as I can tell.

===
 :
Sun grants to you ("Licensee") a non-exclusive, non-transferable
license to use the HotJava and Java binary code versions (hereafter,
"Binary Software") without fee.  Licensee may distribute the Binary
Software to third parties provided that the copyright notice and this
statement appear on all copies.  Licensee agrees that the copyright
notice and this statement will appear on all copies of the software,
packaging, and documentation or portions thereof.
 :
===

By the way, the class library seems to be the same as what the kaffe
port uses, although they hold it as a single .zip file
(/usr/local/share/kaffe/classes.zip).

This thing is pretty large, can you see if you guys can somehow share
this?  Tim Wilkinson <tim@sarc.city.ac.uk> is the author of kaffe,
Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@freebsd.org> and Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
are our liaisons.

Satoshi