Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:42:27 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@usrlib.org>
To:        midiostri@in.gr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, igor@mordor.admiral.ru, ADyas@twowaytv.com
Subject:   Re: X application without starting a desktop

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 02:09:23PM +0300, midiostri@in.gr wrote:
> alex adviced me:
>
> >This is where you want to run your x-app, so instead of xterm and xeyes you
> >put something like:
>
> >exec <yourapp> &
>
> Yes! That's the solution. I put this single line in my .xinitrc and my
> application started together with the Xserver and nothing else. Beautifull :)
>
> One detail: The above line didn't work with the ampersand. It seems that
> the last application that starts in .xinitrc must be ampersandless..

This is correct, and I'm shocked so many people told you to put the
ampersand in. The X server quits when it has no clients. This is so you
can do something like select "exit" from your default window manager and
have it kill XFree86. When you background the process with the
ampersand, the server doesn't recognize that it has any clients running,
so it quits right away.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@usrlib.org