Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 23:47:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marcel Mason {Personal} <marcel@nunanet.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What tipped the balance

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Sue Blake wrote:

> Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:17:37 +1000
> From: Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
> To: freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: What tipped the balance
>
> Someone asked me in private mail why I chose FreeBSD instead of another
> OS, and I thought it might make an interesting topic.

<snip a bit to save some bandwidth>

You're right Sue, it makes a darned good topic, so I'll toss my my 2 cents
worth into it <grin>

> The main issue for me was that I wanted to learn unix, learn it right,
> and learn it once.

We are definately {almost} on the same wave length. I work with an ISP
that uses FreeBSD, as I moved more and more from a support role to an
administrator role I decided that I needed to know more and to do that
I needed to work on it a lot more than dropping to a shell session at
work.

> When the Linux users I knew started pushing hard for me to use Linux no
> matter what, and the FreeBSD users said it depends what you want to do,
> I knew that FreeBSD was chosen by those who know how to choose.

When I made the decision that the  home machine had to be a *nix of some
sort I started talking to people in the industry that I work with on a
regular basis and almost without fail I was told, "cut your teeth on
Linux, the learning curve is much more gentle and the transition to
FreeBSD is just not going to be difficult, all the concepts carry across
but Linux is just a bit more friendly on the start-up end".

The people telling me this are guys & gals that make *nix machines of
almost any variety (we work with FreeBSD, BSDi, SCO, Linux) of *nix
machine do absolute magic.

Now before I get flamed for expounding the virtues of Linux on  FreeBSD
list I have to say, FreeBSD from the get-go may be wonderful for many
users but I find Linux to be a great learning tool for the better (IMHO)
platform of FreeBSD.

Thus ends the story of how Marcel ended up living on FreeBSD during the
day and coming home to Redhat 5.1 in the evenings.

Marcel