Date:      Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:15:18 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, emartinez@crockettint.com
Subject:   Re: Promise TX2 Rebuild via atacontrol??

--nextPart2031485.mgRQ8W7gXT

Am Montag, 4. April 2005 23:29 schrieb Edgar Martinez:
> All,
>

> I have a failed member in a RAID1 array and using atacontrol can see that
> the status is degraded. I am curious if I can use atacontrol to rebuild t=
he
> array if the original array was built using the Promise BIOS utility. If I
> tell atacontrol to rebuild.will it corrupt my data or catch fire and
> explode??

You don't tell us what version you use, but promise is supported very well,=
=20
even in atamkII in 6-current.
If you replace the failed drive it sould be automatically rebuilt, the=20
`atacontrol rebuild ar0` doesn't work as long as you (in 5.x) used "addspar=
e"=20
or the controller found a good "spare" drive.
In 4.x you don't have the addspare option, you have to `atacontrol detach 3=
`=20
and reattach it the same way to get recognized and inserted as spare in an=
=20
existing array.

=2DHarry