Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 21:34:54 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
Cc:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@geli.com>, FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: New lmbench available (fwd)

> > Sorry folks, my ISP is downgrading from FreeBSD Pentiums to SGI
> > multiprocessor boxes (no offense Larry ;-), so guess what, I've been
> > basically hosed for the last three days.
>
> You went from FAST machines to SLOW machines?  Why in earth would you do
> that?

Actually, they're not the only ones.  BEST did the same thing and
apparently the SGI is working fairly well for them..  But hey, let's
compare apples with apples here..  The SGI machines are multiprocessor
R4000 boxes costing tens of thousands of dollars, and a fully loaded
P5 system will run you $5K or so..

The big problem all ISPs are having is that this stuff just doesn't
scale very well.  If you could just drop another P5 into the soup and
"cluster" it transparently then we'd be looking at a whole 'nother
ballgame, but..  This kind of forces the really big ISPs into doing
exactly what Russell's ISP has done.. :-(

					Jordan