Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 21:12:11 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>, committers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: More world breakage

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 08:30:55PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> >
> > > I don't think we should change yet another thing before a release. The
> > > problem shouldn't have been created this close to a release in the first
> > > place. We have to stop somewhere, and I think we should stop "fixing" right
> > > here, right now unless there's a *really* good reason not to (IMO of
> > > course).
> >
> > You're right.  I guess the proper solution is to just back these changes out
> > until after 4.0 when you can finish fixing up install side of 'world'.  I just
> > got ahead of myself a little.
>
> I've been thinking about this - being the one who made the original
> commit!
>
> This problem is the product of _two_ recent changes in -current
> only.  In -stable, and in -current before the end of December the
> following tools:  ls, rm, chflags, find, xinstall and mtree used
> a common set of routines to manipulate file flags.   These were
> borrowed from bin/ls/stat_flags.c and statically compiled into each
> tool.  At the beginnig of January, because of the proliferation of
> utilities using these functions, I moved them to libutil in -current.
> There were however various objections to this change, on the basis
> that libutil isn't a utility library as its name suggest, but has
> a much more narrow definition relating to login related code.  It
> was proposed by Bruce to move these to libc and to change their
> name to be in keeping with similar routines for manipulating file
> modes (setmode/getmode).  This was what I did last week, renaming
> flags_to_string to getflags, and string_to_flags to setflags.  I
> missed the clash of name space in a couple of unrelated tools, like
> mount_nfs,  I agree that I should have been more careful here -
> sorry.
>
> There is now a problem for some people with the build chain due to
> xinstall being dependant upon a function that has changed its name
> for its file flags support.  There is also a secondary question of
> whether getflags/setflags are good names for these functions (based
> as there were on getmode/setmode).
>
> Thinking out loud:
>
> If we back out the name change (string_to_flags->setflags) we'll
> bump into the buildchain problem again for people who've now got
> a new xinstall dependant upon setflags.
>
> Moving the functions back into libutil, from libc, is the wrong
> thing to do, IMHO, because the problem here isn't one of which
> library placement, it's one of function names.  Libutil is the
> wrong place for these functions, which is why I wanted them in libc
> for the 4.0 release.
>
> It may be argued that we should back out _both_ commits and resurrect
> bin/ls/stat_flags.c.  Would this gain us anything?
>
> I'm quite happy to DTRT(tm); I'm unsure that backing this change out
> _is_ the right thing however.  Can we discuss it some more first please?

I think that getflags()/setflags() should stay where they are, but I
can't comment on the namespace pollution issue.  If/When the
functions are renamed, they'll probably break make world again
(because the new libc and old install will be there for a while), but
to be honest, this *is* current.

I think the issue to focus on is the function names.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>