Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 12:39:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Andrew.Atrens.atrens@nt.com, viren@rstcorp.com, jim@reptiles.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: utility for setting PNP info in /etc/rc.conf?

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > > This approach worked fine for me too... Prior to elfing my kernel I was
> > > using `dset' to accomplish same, but it appears to yack on the elf kernel
> > > with something cryptic like:
> >
> > Indeed, dset doesn't seem to work with ELF kernels - I'm quite surprised
> > at it, so close to 3.0.1-R...
>
> what about the "kget" thing you have in FreeBSD, Andrzej ?

"kget" also stopped working with difficult to debug problem (stack frame
gets corrupted, and I really don't see why). Anyway, in the meantime I
added new sysctl machdep.uc_devlist which retrieves list of devices which
has been changed during UserConfig session. IMHO, this is the proper way
to do it anyway, instead of dirty hacks with /dev/kmem, symbols list etc.
etc.

So, my development copy of "kget" works just fine again, and what with
dset - I don't know. "kget" doesn't write this stuff back to the kernel
image (what a disgusting idea...), it just creates /kernel.config. If we
come to conclusion that this is what dset should do as well, we can simply
rename kget->dset.

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"