Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:59:33 +0200
From:      Achim Patzner <ap@bnc.net>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running MacOS-X i386 binaries on FreeBSD?

Am 15.06.2006 um 02:26 schrieb Mikhail Teterin:
> =D1=81=D0=B5=D1=80=D0=B5=D0=B4=D0=B0 14 =D1=87=D0=B5=D1=80=D0=B2=D0=B5=D0=
=BD=D1=8C 2006 20:20, Achim Patzner =20
> =D0=BD=D0=B0=D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=81=D0=B0=D0=B2:
>>> Has anyone from this mailing list looked into the possibility of
>>> running MacOS-X (Intel) binaries on FreeBSD?
>
>> Would it be worth the trouble considering the fact that Apple's
>> licenses would make it impossible to use it legally for anything
>
> Such issues never stopped WINE folks, for example...

Wine is a good example; in order to run Mac OS Applications (which is =20=

considerably more than being able to execute another architecture's =20
binaries like the Linux emulation - and that was already quite some =20
work) you have to provide most of the supporting libraries, too. =20
Linux is just a kernel; Mac OS X is an operating system coming with a =20=

lot of supporting software (commonly called APIs).

>> running the Darwin userland (which essentially _is_ FreeBSD anyway)
>> in most countries?
>
> Well, does MS Office run on Darwin?

No.

Office for Mac is running on Carbon (and will probably move on to =20
Cocoa - It's a task that takes quite a few man years and nevertheless =20=

much less work than creating something like Cocoa including all the =20
layers below it). And just taking all the stuff that makes up Cocoa =20
and run it on a Darwin emulator is just another example for breaking =20
licenses and stealing.

>>> Maybe, even MS Office can be made to work? Just curious...
>>
>> Why don't you just buy a Mac?
>
> That's a strange question coming from an "emulation" mailing list
> subscriber... Why don't you just install Linux?

Because I don't have to steal it and break dozens of license =20
agreements to do so. It might not matter to you but to me it does.

Achim