Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 1996 13:31:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, bala@cst.com.au, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Majordomo problem (help)

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, James Raynard wrote:

> [re Majordomo causing all the swap to be used up]
>
> > I spent most of yesterday afternoon trying to get Majordomo to work and
> > have exactly the same error. The error 137 (according to the Majordomo
> > docs) is probably being returned from the mailer (sendmail in my case)
> > but the man page for sendmail points to the syscodes header file which
> > does not contain 137. If you run 'top' while majordomo runs...
>
> Something is clearly causing Perl to go into an endless loop and eat
> up all the system's virtual memory. Since 99% of Majordomo problems
> are permissions-related (allegedly), that's what I'd look at first.

I changed the Makefile so that it is using the same group and uid values
as the real majordom account (duh!) and re-made everything. Now what
happens is that when it is invoked by having mail sent to majordomo, it
crashes the system with a panic 13 fault, reboots and repeats forever.
Closer, maybe, but a bit harder on the old heart. Deleting the queued
messages for sendmail fixed the crashing. Will try enabling core dumps
next to see if I can decypher the problem from that.

-Dave