Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:20:16 +0200
From:      Marius Bendiksen <Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bitten 3 times already.

>Your second paragraph contradicts the first, as if you had "written an
>IDE driver before", you would know that "LBA formatted" doesn't mean
>anything, and that LBA and CHS are just two ways of feeding the same
>numbers to the disk.

Actually, working from disassembled bios code and some crappy command
tables doesn't give you much of an idea as to how things work. I knew I ran
LBA on all my drives, and thus assumed that accessing them as such would be
a good idea.

>You'd also know that reading a disk won't cause it to "lose" its data.

I was more concerned about -writing- to the disk. :)
---
Marius Bendiksen, IT-Trainee, ScanCall AS