Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 1997 09:50:36 -0500
From:      Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Performance questions (Interrupt vs. polled)

I have a 460K/s 8 port serial card that I'm working on a driver for. Its a PCI
card. I have the option of polling it, or setting up an interrupt handler
for it. According to the docs, I'll have ~ 40-85ms available for interrupt
latency. There will be somewhere between 2-8Kb buffers available for each port
by the time I'm done (which can raise the latency levels by another 50% if
I go to 8Kb, as the numbers above are for a 2-4Kb buffer).

I guess the question is, which would "be better" in terms of performance in
this case? I've heard arguements that on boards that perform like this, that
Polled I/O works best, due to the high overhead of setting up for
the interrupt. Then again, given sufficient buffer space, I've heard that
using an interrupt is better due to the high overhead of scheduling the
polling.

I'm hoping not to start a flame war, but rather would just like to know the
pros and cons, so I can make a decision as to how to work this driver
for maximum overall system efficiency.
	-Brian