Date:      Mon, 22 May 2006 12:12:47 +0200
From:      Ian G <iang@iang.org>
To:        freebsd security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Security Survey

My experience is similar to that of others, with one
variation - I've never been able to successfully install
from packages, and at best have found that half way
through, some port gets dragged in, and I've gradually
been sucked into replacing everything with ports.

( Which is fine, for the most part, except on my laptop
for X & KDE, it takes something like 1-2 days to compile,
and as there is poor ACPI (sp?) support, I have to put
a fan over the machine to stop it overheating and
triggering the auto-shutdown. )

Installing and upgrading ports tends to have a trickle
effect, and I find that all the ports get upgraded, which
inevitably results in things breaking.  I approach the
whole process with trepidation.

Overall - and getting to the point - this means I don't
upgrade or install that much.  I tend to prefer to re-do
the whole lot once every 6 months if I can get away with
it because of the concern about having to spend a few
days with the OS stuck in upgrade cycle.  That includes
security updates, unfortunately, things which I've never
figured out how to do.

(Colin, thanks for the survey!  Good to see, and it's
really great to be able to throw some experiences around.)

iang