Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:15:15 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: background fsck deadlocks with ufs2 and big disk

David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

> IIRC, Kirk was trying to reproduce this a little while ago in
> response to similar reports.  He would probably be interested
> in any new information.

     I don't have any useful information, but I do have a data point:

	My 5.0-RELEASE system recently mysteriously panic'd, which
	resulted in a partially trashed UFS1 filesystem, which caused bg
	fsck to hang.

Details:

* The panic was weird, in that only the first 4-6 characters of the
  first function (in the panic stacktrace) was displayed on the console
  (sorry, forgot what it was).  Nothing else past that point was shown,
  and the console was locked up.  Ddb was compiled into the kernel, but
  ctrl-esc did nothing.

* The UFS1 filesystem in question (and I assume that it was UFS1, as I
  did not specify a filesystem type to newfs) is located on a RAID5
  vinum volume, consisting of five 80GB disks.

* Softupdates is enabled.

* When bg fsck hung (w/no disk activity), I could break into the ddb.
  Unfortunately, I don't know how to use ddb, aside from "ps".

* Disabling bg fsck allowed the system to boot.  However, fg fsck
  failed, and I had to do a manual fsck, which spewed lots of nasty
  "SOFTUPDATE INCONSISTENCY" errors.

* Disturbingly (but fortunately), I then unmounted the filesystem (in
  multi-user mode) and re-ran fsck, and fsck still found errors.  There
  should not have been any errors, as fg fsck just finished running.

  [ Unfortunately, I've forgotten what they were, and an umount/fsck
    done right now shows no problems.  I think the errors were one of
    the "incorrect block count" errors.  ]

* After the fsck, some files were partially truncated (& corrupted?).
  After investigating, I believe these truncated files (which were NOT
  recently modified) were in a directory in which other files were being
  created/written at the time of the panic.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com