Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 02:23:31 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        "m.timmerman@zeeland.arbounie.nl" <m.timmerman@zeeland.arbounie.nl>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Speed?

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:37:11 +0200  Michel Timmerman wrote:
 +------------------
 | I looked at the man page but as far as I see it doesn't mention any duplex
 | settings. I searched on the internet for ifconfig docs and found the option
 | 'speed' must be used to set duplex settings. So I tried '# ifconfig ep1
 | speed 20' (20 = full duplex) But the system responds with 'ifconfig: speed:
 | bad value'. Maybe I need a new version of ifconfig?
 |
 | This is the output of 'ifconfig ep1' :
 |
 | ep1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
 |         inet6 fe80::210:4bff:fe12:e1d7%ep1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
 |         inet 212.92.72.168 netmask 0xfffff800 broadcast 212.92.79.255
 |         ether 00:10:4b:12:e1:d7
 |         media: 10baseT/UTP
 |         supported media: 10base2/BNC 10baseT/UTP
 |
 | ep1 is my cable provider nic. It is configured by DHCP.
 +------------------

The ep driver does not support full duplex operation.
If it did you could set it by running the command.

    ifconfig ep1 full-duplex

I'm at a loss as to what is realy happening here though.  Maybe there is a
physical problem of some kind?  Do you have old data that can be used to
compaire the two speeds?  If the cable bridge is in fullduplex and the card
is in half duplex you'll see lots of colisions on the wire.  Have you
validated the configuration of the cable bridge?

watch the output of

    netstat -I ep1 -i 5

To see if errors are accumulating. Maybe that will give you some ideas to
go on.

Good Luck!
chris

--