Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 13:51:05 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Victor Salaman <salaman@teknos.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: openssl in -current

> So do I. Unfortunately our hands are tied - the version of FreeBSD
> distributed in the US must not contain these because they are patented
> technologies and not available for unrestricted use. Unfortunately this is
> also the same version distributed worldwide on FreeBSD CDs, install

At this stage, I'm ready to have two different CD products for
international and domestic use.  I can also ensure that the
appropriate ISO images are made available from the US and
internat.freebsd.org, along with the distribution bits.  What we have
now is sort of bordering on nightmarish.

Sysinstall also isn't likely to do anything to change this until
openssl becomes a "distribution" like the DES bits are.  Depending on
external packages is actually something I'm trying to wean sysinstall
away from because the dependency is a PITA and the creation of the
packages collection is not automated in the same way that distribution
building is.

To put it somewhat more succinctly, I won't be creating any more
dependencies on external packages from sysinstall (where "external" is
defined as anything not created by "make world"), so any solution
which relies on sysinstall sucking in a package should not be
entertained.  The existing dependencies on things like linux_base and
lynx are already enough of a pain as it is and I'd like to eliminate
them at some point also.

- Jordan