Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 20:40:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers list)
Subject:   sio overruns on 205R revisited

Hi there

Some time ago I mentioned that I was getting sio overruns on my new
P55TP4XE /90. That was using the onboard serial ports.

In the mean time I also tried it using the AST/4 with 16550 I was
using successfully with my old 486/25. Evidence has shown that there
is no difference, still overruns.

After quite some experimenting I noticed that the sio errors can be
reproduced quite easily by putting 'load' on the X display. So,
an xterm with ls -lR / is a sure case of (lots of) sio overflow
errors.

When I repeat the same ls -lR / on a normal text vt iso the X display
no problems occur.

My conclusion: something in the S3/928 PCI VGA card makes trouble.
As another datapoint: when the option nomemaccess is NOT in XF86config
then I get a garbled X display. Meaning: random pixels in the wrong
color, can be 'wiped' in the correct color by moving a window over
'm. Really strange.

I appreciate input on this, maybe I'm missing something??

Wilko