Date:      16 May 2002 16:41:24 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   NO_SENDMAIL condition violated by rc.sendmail

<rant>
I will be happiest when FreeBSD removes all mtas from the build system,
just like perl is now being removed.

I have worked long and hard to make sure that no trace of that
bug-ridden program sendmail ever pollutes my system.

Recently, someone decided that NO_SENDMAIL does not really mean what it
says.  After all, why would anyone ever want to remove such a lovely
program as that?  ;-(

Now, it seems that not only does the make.conf NO_SENDMAIL *not* mean no
sendmail, but the rc.conf variable sendmail_enable=NO doesn't really
mean not to start sendmail!!!!!  It appears that setting this variable
doesn't disable sendmail, because who would want to do that?

Since someone had the bright idea that rc.sendmail (which is *specific*
to sendmail) is *reaquired* even if you do not have sendmail installed,
my buildworld and installworld fail miserably because my /usr/sup/refuse
file contains the string "*sendmail*" as a preventive to make sure that
no trace of sendmail ever makes it onto my system.

If you are going to add the "mta_start_script" parameter to
/etc/defaults/rc.conf, the least you can do is make the start script
generic and make rc.sendmail and rc.sendmail.8 *optional*.

make buildworld and make installworld are horribly and irretrievably
broken until someone allows NO_SENDMAIL to really mean NO_SENDMAIL once
again and to make the idiotic rc.sendmail an optional part of the base
system.
</rant>

/Joe