Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 22:31:23 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@geli.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New lmbench available (fwd)

> > > Sorry folks, my ISP is downgrading from FreeBSD Pentiums to SGI
> > > multiprocessor boxes (no offense Larry ;-), so guess what, I've been
> > > basically hosed for the last three days.
> >
> > You went from FAST machines to SLOW machines?  Why in earth would you do
> > that?
>
> Actually, they're not the only ones.  BEST did the same thing and
> apparently the SGI is working fairly well for them..  But hey, let's
> compare apples with apples here..  The SGI machines are multiprocessor
> R4000 boxes costing tens of thousands of dollars, and a fully loaded
> P5 system will run you $5K or so..

ahem. cough.  "BEST" is my ISP... and there is more fun to come,
seems we have had a (and I paraphrase here) "sophisticated and persistant"
attack that has killed the SGIs in many interesting ways.  All through
this the lonely little P5-90 box with the NCR controller running a
July kernel is just chugging along, so web service has been unaffected,
as far as I can tell.

> The big problem all ISPs are having is that this stuff just doesn't
> scale very well.  If you could just drop another P5 into the soup and
> "cluster" it transparently then we'd be looking at a whole 'nother
> ballgame, but..  This kind of forces the really big ISPs into doing
> exactly what Russell's ISP has done.. :-(

So here is a market opportunity:  how do you scale a bunch of
httpd servers working in concert (maybe like timed?) so that when one
goes down, the remainders elect a master and life goes on?

Cheers,
Russell