Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:17:20 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), tg@ihf.rwth-aachen.de, mark@vmunix.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PNP and new Sound code ?

> > I don't think that would be a smart idea at all.  The most recent
> > changes appear to have broken it on -current, and the code is certainly
> > far far away from being ready for a production-level system.
> May I ask what kind of brokennes you are talking about ? If you
> refer to the message that Jordan sent out some time ago, he promptly
> took it back saying that it had nothing to do with the cancelled
> 3.0 snap.

I'm referring to this message, which I get from the most recent
-current kernel I have built on my PnP box:

/kernel.atapi: Probing for PnP devices:
/kernel.atapi: CSN 1 Vendor ID: CTL009d [0x9d008c0e] Serial 0x0adc2c47
/kernel.atapi: This is a SB AWE64 PnP, but LDN 0 is disabled

An older kernel finds and configures the device correctly.

> This does not mean that it is unusable (maybe with minor patches,
> or a little bit more of documentation, if the one that i have
> already written is not enough) on a production system.

My point was just that in its current incarnation, it doesn't appear to
work.  That's not a good advertisement for putting it into production.

> Just as a data point. During the last three months I have tried to
> support both the PnP and the audio driver.

You'll have to wait until after we ship the SkYimet system and I finish
my exams before you'll hear from me about this one, I fear.

mike