Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 18:00:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "ICMP_BANDLIM"

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :  Does anyone have an aversion to options "ICMP_BANDLIM" going into GENERIC? I
> :think it's very justifiable, and doesn't bloat the kernel unnecessarily (also,
> :Solaris and Linux, that I know of so far, also do this, so it's a pretty
> :standard thing). And how about using an option "ICMP_BANDLIM_SILENT" as well?
> :Sometimes you don't really want to see your message buffer filling up with
> :ICMP_BANDLIM messages, and option "ICMP_BANDLIM_SILENT" would probably go into
> :GENERIC too. If everyone thinks this is a good idea, I'll make the patches to
> :src/sys/netinet/ip_input.c src/sys/{i386,alpha}/conf/GENERIC
> :src/sys/i386/conf/options.i386 src/sys/alpha/conf/options.alpha and maybe PC98?
> :PC98 should probably be left alone...
> :
> :Comments?
>
>     I was planning on waiting a release but it does appear to be solid, I
>     think we can enable it permanently.  The bandlim error messages are
>     rate limited, it should not create a burden on the log files, but I
>     suppose a silent option could be added - no skin off the code's nose :-)
>
>     The only problem is that I do not have time to do it right now and my

Taken care of. I've been doing a lot of fixing lately! In the patches lying
around I've got a CPU_WT_ALLOC patch, DDB patch, patch to add ICMP_BANDLIM_\
SILENT, preventing revocation of VFIFO's, a USB major fix, and a fix to USB
crashing if you attempt access certain dev_t's. :)

>     code tree is sitting on the floor in pieces while I work on the swap
>     system.  If a committer wants to commit the appropriate changes
>     please feel free!
>
> 						-Matt
>
> : Brian Feldman						  _ __  ___ ___ ___
> : green@unixhelp.org				      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
> :		      http://www.freebsd.org/	 _ __ ___ ____ | _ \__ \ |) |
> : FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!		   _ __ ___ ____ _____ |___/___/___/
> :
>
>     Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
>                     Communications & God knows what else.
>     <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)

 Brian Feldman						  _ __  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org				      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \