Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:27:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        faisal gillani <fasi_74@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT question sorry but i need salution fast ....

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, faisal gillani wrote:

> well sorry fro this but i couldent find any other place to ask this
> question & i need the salution very badly this will gratly benift me
> well i have 2 ethernet networks running which i want to connect but
> the distance between them is above 400 meters .. so this is way beyond
> the normal lan hardware ..

> i am here in pakistan where no such high bandwith devices or support
> exisit .. i was thinking about that thicknet cable but dont know what
> hardware to get for this .. also are there any wireless hardwares for
> this senario ? thanks you very much for reading

	Several companies sell ethernet extenders.

	Pairgain sells a device that does this by connecting the 2 ends by
	sDSL which is 768K symmetrical.  The distance is about 3miles or
	so.  It looks like an ethernet on both ends.  There is a small
	(modem-sized) device which sits on both sides. See
	www.pairgain.com for more info.

	Tut Systems also sells these ethernet extenders as well.  I've
	used both Pairgain and Tut Systems gear with great luck (up to
	about 3 miles or so). There are other companies as well.

	Of course, for the cost of these devices you would be better off
	chaining switches together to reach your distance, which was
	suggested by a previous poster.

	Another posibility is Wireless 802.11 which might have the
	distance you need.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Don't mind me...I'm just sniffing your packets