Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 18:52:02 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, John Gregor <johng@vieo.com>, Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net, leifn@neland.dk, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, gjb@gbch.net
Subject:   Re: how to test out cron.c changes? (was: cvs commit: src/etc crontab)

Doug Barton wrote:

> Sergey Babkin wrote:
> >
> > Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> > > I do believe this is premature.  There really should at least be an
> > > option for the old behaviour, and there is a good argument for making
> > > the new behaviour optional dependent on a variable with the old
> >
> > Let me ask a simple question: Why ? What are the benefits of
> > preserving the old behavior ? As far as I've watched this thread
> > nobody had explained it. So could you please elaborate ?
>
>         The fact that you do not understand, or do not accept the many salient
> points that have been made in opposition to this change does not mean that
> they do not exist.

I'm sorry but the fact is not that I don't understand or don't
accept some points, but that no technical points were ever mentioned.
The discussion was very much on the emotional level, discussing the
stupidity of people who schedule their cron jobs at 2am.

Please do not misunderstand me: I do like conservatism and I do like
the compatibility with previous releases. But sometimes these
decisions mean incompatibility with the other Unix systems, so
there is some sort of tradeoff. I think that I've found a reasonable
solution that can let us have both sorts of compatibility at
a quite good level.

> > > behaviour default.  _Especially_ if you intend to MFC this, since
> > > changing this behaviour in a minor release, without a way to have the
> > > old behaviour, is almost certainly wrong.
> >
> > That's why I asked for comments.
>
>         With changes of this magnitude we do not shoot first and ask questions

I'm sorry to ask this again and again but did you look at the changes ?

> later. Both the proponents and opponents of this change agreed that AT
> MINIMUM there should be a command line option to enable the new behavior. I

I've proposed a solution which would implement the new option without
significantly disturbing the old behavior. I had it discussed in
-hackers and got only positive replies.

> was planning to commit Gerhard's rc patches to allow for specifying flags

My patches are different from Gerhard's. And Gerhard's test have
shown that these patches do not quite solve the problem with DST
support.

> to cron during startup today (and still may get to it later) to make
> testing the change easier. Personally, I had a lot of sympathy with the
> idea of the proponents making a port of the new cron, but I could live with

I do not have any sympathy to this idea. It brings linuxisation
with scores of similar packages with subtle differences between them,
making it difficult to predict the behavior of the typical installation
and to get exactly the right package needed for a particular
solution. Worse yet, making these packages coexist on one machine
if too often quite a bit of trouble.

> the idea of a command line option, defaulting to the old behavior.

I agree with an idea of a command line option (again, nobody
mentioned any technical argument why breaking minor compatibility
aspect with the old behavior is unacceptable, but if people want
this by a however irrational reason) but I think that making the
changed behavior default is better. Simply because it hurts much
less people.

-SB